Service Definitions

Ministry-funded services and supports for adults with developmental disabilities:

Service Navigation
  • We will assist you to start your application to Ministry funded adult developmental services
  • Confirm if you are eligible for adult developmental services
  • Provide you with information about MCCSS developmental services and available community resources
Residential Support
Group Homes and Group Living Supports:

  • You will live with a few unrelated people
  • Provide you support for up to 24 hours per day
  • Accommodate you based on your needs and abilities

Supported Independent Living/Individual Living Supports:

  • You live more independently
  • Someone helps you with daily activities
  • You receive between 2 to 10 hours of support during the day every week
  • You must be able to do things by yourself overnight, like take a bath, brush your teeth, etc.

Host Family Home/Associate Living Supports:

  • You live with a family who can provide you with care and supports
  • You are encouraged to become an active member of the household
  • Your support fits your needs
  • You are matched with a family that has similar interests, needs and lifestyle

DS Intensive Support Residence:

  • 24/7 staffing support available for residents
  • Accommodations for one or two individuals
  • Specialized behaviour or medical supports
  • Support for participation in community activities
Community Participation
Agencies can help you participate in the following community activities:

  • recreation,
  • volunteering,
  • life skills programs, and
  • employment opportunities.
Caregiver Respite
Caregiver respite supports give your primary caregiver(s) a temporary break from their daily routine by providing you with care in different ways. Some caregivers use their Passport funding to choose and pay for their own respite support while others choose to use a respite program where you can stay for a short period of time, either in-home or outside of the home. This can be during the day, evening or weekend.
Person Directed Planning
A person-directed plan reviews your individual dreams and goals and with the support of an agency or other support person, a person-directed plan helps you find the tools and funding you need to make it happen.

Creating a person-directed plan will help you:

  • Define a vision of your future life.
  • Identify your strengths and gifts.
  • Set goals and make choices.
  • Find ways for you to participate in communities.
  • Locate people who can help you achieve your dreams.
Direct Funding - Passport Program
The Passport program is a reimbursement program that helps adults with a developmental disability participate in their community. You or your caregiver can either choose to receive the money directly or purchase your supports and services through an agency. Passport provides funding for services and supports so you can:

  • Take part in community classes or recreational programs.
  • Develop work, volunteer, and daily life skills.
  • Hire a support worker.
  • Create your own life plans (this is called person-directed planning) to reach your goals.
  • Get temporary respite for your caregiver(s).
File Update or Re-Assessment
  • Your DSO assessment (ADSS & SIS) has already been completed, and there have been changes to your circumstances, including a change of address or change to your caregiver’s health or you have a new service request

Specialized Services:

Adult Protective Services/Case Management

Adult Protective Service Worker and Case Managers can meet regularly with you to help you:

  • Get you access to community supports and ministry-funded services.
  • Identify your strengths and needs.
  • Stay informed about supports and direct you to the ones you need.
  • Manage your community resources and service plans.

Case Managers can also develop a person-directed plan to:

  • Define a vision of your future life.
  • Identify your strengths and gifts.
  • Set goals and make choices.
  • Find ways for you to participate in communities.
  • Locate people who can help you achieve your dreams.

Adult protective service workers can also develop problem-solving and life skills, like budgeting and learning to use public transportation.

In some communities, adult protective service workers have different titles, such as service coordinator or adult support worker.

Behaviour Management
Behavioural consultants can help you by:

  • Assessing your ability to be independent and apply skills in daily life.
  • Assisting you in developing, creating, and evaluating your treatment plan.
  • Providing behavioural strategy training to your caregiver and other supports.
  • Teaching you ways to prevent a crisis and support strategies.

This service is determined by evaluating your needs and may be provided to you directly or through a group setting.

Counseling (SD&G Developmental services)
Therapy and counselling: individual, group, family, couple, anger management, grief counselling, counselling relating to sexuality, abuse, etc.
Dual Diagnosis Brokerage Service
Brokerage Service is a bilingual service for people with a dual diagnosis (a developmental disability and a mental illness) and other complex needs who live in Ottawa.
Justice Brokerage
Court outreach provides support to divert individuals from the justice system toward mental health court and services in the community.
Occupational Therapy
Occupational therapy consists of rehabilitation services, emphasizing a holistic approach. Occupational therapy helps individuals maintain and develop skills that will lead to independence in personal, social, academic and vocational pursuits.
Speech and Language Therapy
Working with individuals to provide personalized therapy in order to help achieve their communication goals (only available in Renfrew County).