Here are some accessibility related services at the Ottawa Public Library (OPL):
- Accessibility Status: For customers who require a longer borrowing period due to a disability, they can apply to have their library card status changed to allow for 6 week loan periods for all items except Express items and downloadable materials.
- The Library’s accessible collections include large print books, braille books for children, audiobooks in various formats, eBooks and DVDs with subtitles and descriptive audio. Customers who cannot read or access regular print material due to a print disability have additional access to the DAISY audiobook collection at OPL, as well as the resources of the Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA). Please speak to a Library staff member to change your library card status to allow borrowing of DAISY audiobooks. All Library branches have assistive technology computer work stations equipped with a height adjustable desk, widescreen monitor, large print keyboard, trackball mouse, and a scanner. All public computers have Windows 10 installed, which include accessibility features such as a built-in narrator, magnifier, high contrast options and speech recognition.
- Homebound Services: A free service offering monthly delivery of OPL materials directly to Ottawa residents who are unable to visit the library regularly due to age, illness or disability. A minimum commitment of three months is required to sign up for the service. Customers can request their own material, or staff can select materials based on each customer’s interests.
Other library programs of interest:
- Teen Advisory Groups (TAG): For youth between the ages of 14 and 18 who want to earn community involvement hours, build leadership skills and meet new teens in their area. Members of TAG groups can:
- Have their say in which activities and services are offered to teens
- Help plan and implement them
- Help design Teen Zones
- Read advance copies of Teen fiction books and write reviews
- Advise the Library about new collections and suggest titles to buy
- Find information about all the amazing programs offered at various library branches: https://biblioottawalibrary.ca/program